top of page

Open work permit pilot program extended for spouse or common-law partner in Canada class

Thu Jul 30 2020 07:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)

The Government of Canada is extending the open work permit pilot for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class until the regulatory changes come into force to permanently implement this policy.

Support for families is a priority for the Government, and these measures ensure that applicants have the opportunity to work and contribute to the economy. The extension of these measures provides certainty and stability to spouses and common-law partners in Canada who are awaiting their permanent resident status.

The open work permits are limited to applicants living in Canada who have submitted an application under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class, and who have temporary resident status or are eligible to restore their temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker) and live at the same address as their sponsor.

If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before your status in Canada lapses.

Submitting an application
If you are submitting a new application, you may submit a work permit application at the same time as your sponsorship application, along with an application for permanent residence. You must include the appropriate fees, and send all completed applications together. Applications must be sent by mail or courier only.

By mail
In-Canada Sponsorship
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
CPC – Mississauga
P.O. Box 5040, Station B
Mississauga, Ontario L5A 3A4

By courier
Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
2 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 300
Mississauga, Ontario L4Z 1H8

If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet applied for an open work permit, you can complete the work permit application. Send your completed application, along with the appropriate fee, to:

Case Processing Centre – Edmonton
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Work permits for spouses or common-law partners, Station 777
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4C3

If you already have approval in principle for your permanent residence application

If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application—meaning you have received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada stating you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but you (or your family members) have not yet passed the medical, security and background checks—you may apply for an open work permit online.

To learn more about how COVID-19 may be affecting your application, please consult the IRCC website.

For more information, visit the Help Centre. If you have a case-specific enquiry, use the IRCC web form.

bottom of page